[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: vung

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Sep 29 10:10:04 PDT 2017

On 9/29/2017 12:25 PM, nIqolay Q wrote:
> Here's a question: Since the implied subject of weather words is
> usually *muD* (or sometimes maybe *chal* for precipitation and the
> like), how would you all interpret *vungwI'*?
> Would you read it as the noun "hurricane", as in the part of the
> atmosphere that's hurricaning, considered as a single system? (So you
> could perhaps say something like */Florida/Daq ghoSlI' 'Irma' vungwI'*
> /"Hurricane Irma is approaching Florida"/, with the assumption that
> "hurricane" is treated like a rank or title.)
> Or would it be taken to mean something less specific or useful, like
> "the atmosphere as a whole, which happens to be hurricaning
> somewhere", assuming it means anything at all?

Okrand has famously been coy about what the subject of the weather verbs
is. Sometimes it's *muD,* but only in the way a meteorologist would
explain the science behind it. Generally they're used without
subjects—not that they use indefinite subjects, though. You're supposed
to "just know" what the subject is.

I wouldn't assume that *vungwI'* is the noun form of /hurricane/ any
more than I would assume that *SISwI'* is the noun form of /rain./
Instead of trying to turn it into a noun, use it as a subjectless verb.

*tugh */Florida/*Daq vung; ghoSlI' */Irma./