[tlhIngan Hol] qaStaHvIS ram timestamp

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Sep 10 12:24:04 PDT 2017

On 9/10/2017 3:06 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> nIqolay Q:
> > {qaStaHvIS ram juHDaq maHaD maH vIghro' je}
> > {juHDaq maHaD maH vIghro' je qaStaHvIS ram}
>
> I understand these two; but could we write too {juHDaq qaStaHvIS ram
> maHaD maH vIghro' je} ?

What we call a time stamp in Klingon studies is not /any/ expression
that tells you when something happens; it is only a noun or noun phrase
that does so. *qaStaHvIS ram* is not a noun phrase, so it is not a time
stamp. If it were, then /every/ *-vIS* and *-DI' *clause would be a time
stamp.

Here's how things are ordered in a normal complex Klingon sentence (for
"noun phrase" read "noun or noun phrase"):

    [subordinate and purpose clauses] [time stamps] [adverbials]
    [syntactic noun phrases] [object noun phrase] [verb] [subject noun
    phrase ] [subordinate clauses]

This is not absolute; you might see Klingon sentences violating this
order from time to time. I haven't included possible uses of *neH, je,*
or *jay',* or sentences-as-object, sentence conjunctions, comparatives,
or copulas. I haven't included special rules changing sentence order
like putting adverbials after a noun phrase with *-'e'* (if that really
is a change in sentence order). But in general, this is what you build
around the basic OVS structure.

So you can't write your sentence your way. You've got a subordinate
clause between a syntactic noun and the verb, and that's not allowed.