[tlhIngan Hol] Are arabic numerals canon ?

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 12:15:23 PDT 2017

Usually, "Alpha" in star names refers to the brightest star in that
constellation, so Alpha Centauri is the brightest star in the constellation
of Centaur, Beta Centauri would be the second-brightest and so on. I think
we have no clue how Klingons would call these, especially since Klingons
would have completely different constellations (as we know already), and
from their homeworld stars would form different patterns anyway, and other
stars might be brighter than our Alpha stars anyway.

The Roman numbers behind star names then refer to the position of the
planet relative to the other planets in the same system. Earth could be
called "Sol III", as it's the third planet. If the Klingons call our sun
{Sol}, Earth might have been called {Sol wej} prior to contact with the
Federation (but then they wouldn't have called our sun {Sol} either, of
course).

I had always thought that Prime refers to either the biggest planet in the
system (e.g. Jupiter in our case), or perhaps to the only planet for those
stars who only have one planet. In that case {wa'} is of course also
suitable, and even more logical. Does anyone know what "Prime" means, in
Star Trek?

- André