[tlhIngan Hol] law' puS construction with law'

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 08:57:27 PDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> {DoDaj vItlh law' wab Do vItlh puS.}
> "The speed is higher than the speed of sound"
>
> {DoDaj law' law' wab Do law' puS.}
> "His speeds are more than the sound's speeds"

I could have sworn that there was some usage of {law'} used with something
that couldn't be counted, in the sense of "a lot of", but I'm blanking on
it at the moment.

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:40 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Using {vItlh} is a good choice, but isn't that only to be used with
> regards to things such as speed, destruction etc ?
>
> What I'm trying to say is, if I want to say "january has more days than
> february", can I use the {vItlh} ? Can I say..
>
> {jar wa' jajmey vItlh law' jar cha' jajmey vItlh puS} ?

The gloss of {vItlh} is "be high, great (in quantity, size, intensity)". It
seems to be used for things that can be measured but not really counted,
like {Do}, though we only have a few examples of it. It feels weird to use
with {jajmey}. It feels like it would be right to use with something like
{jajmey mI'} "the number of days", though that's kind of wordy.

In any case, I don't see why you couldn't use {law'} in the law'-puS
construction. Stylistically you might not want to use {law'} twice in a
row, but that's the only argument against it that I can think of.