[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "I just thought"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Oct 23 11:45:27 PDT 2017

On 10/23/2017 2:32 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> I remember, a long time ago, I asked how we can express "I just
> thought.."
>
> At the discussion which followed, the main idea was to say something
> like {lup puS ret}.
>
> Although I liked this workaround, I felt there was something missing;
> like a food you may like, but you just can't help feeling that there
> is an ingredient missing.
>
> Until, just a few minutes ago, perhaps I discovered that missing
> ingredient..
>
> ..which is the word {neH}.
>
> {lup puS neH ret jIQub..}
> only a few minutes ago I thought..
>
> I think this does the trick, and unless a bird of prey decloaks
> blowing this workaround out of space, I will add it to my notes and
> use it like there's no tomorrow.

This sounds like you only think this thought a few minutes ago and not
at any other time. You won't think it again.

The definition of /only/ at dictionary.com lists four adverb senses for
the word. The *neH* that follows Klingon nouns is the first sense:
"without others or anything further; alone; solely; exclusively." The
*neH* that follows Klingon verbs is the second sense: "no more than;
merely; just." The sense you're using here is the third sense: "as
recently as." *neH* probably doesn't mean this.