[tlhIngan Hol] suffix {-qang} and {-Qo'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Oct 19 13:51:38 PDT 2017

On 10/19/2017 4:36 PM, Steven Boozer wrote:

> All the examples I know of *-Qo'* used with another suffix:
>
> *bIjatlhQo'chugh*
> if you refuse to speak. (TKD)
>
> *choja'Qo'chugh
> *if you won't tell me, if you refuse to tell me (TKD)*
> *
>
> *bISaqQo'chugh vaj bIHegh* (STID)
> **
>
> *HIHoHvIpQo'*
> don't be afraid to kill me! (TKD)*
> *
>
> *'ang'eghQo' quv Hutlhbogh jagh neH ghobtaHvIS ghaH*
> Only an enemy without honor refuses to show himself in battle. (TKW)
>
> *quv HIja'chuqQo'*
> Don't speak to me of honor. (PB)

Of these, the first three involve a type 9 suffix, whose meaning pretty
much /has/ to encompass the whole rest of the verb. The last two involve
reflexive suffixes, and it doesn't seem to matter what order you apply
them (refuse to "show himself" or "refuse to show" himself). The last
one would be useful if it were indicative, but as an imperative this
could only be interpreted differently if we assumed the indicative
/refuse/ meaning /(be afraid to refuse to kill me!) /rather than the
given imperative meaning. I don't think we can do that.

So I don't think any of these examples really get at the heart of
mayqel's question.