[tlhIngan Hol] new words: rIS

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 20 05:54:16 PST 2017

Correction: rIS is printed on page 13.

Hello,

Here comes some more clarifications for the words used in Klingon subtitles:

----
For the archive: this is printed in qepHom 2017, page 13.
----
MO: For "signal," I suggest the verb {rIS}. This means "make a cracking
or snapping sound" but can also be used to mean "emit a signal." Maybe
Klingons used to use Geiger counters a lot.

LLL: How is this different to tlhuD "emit radiation"?

MO: {rIS }originally referred to emitting sound only. Later the meaning
was extended to mean emitting any sort of signal – sound, radiation,
smell, etc. {tlhuD} refers to radiation only.

LLL: So a {rISwI'} would be some sending device, right?

MO: It could mean this, yes.

LLL: How would I say that I receive or detect a signal? What about
{rISHa'}? Is it the opposite of "sending"?

MO: {rISHa'} would refer to sending a signal improperly, like maybe to
the wrong person. It wouldn't mean "receive or detect a signal."

----
This information from #qepHom2017 will be added to the page "Message
from Maltz" on qepHom.de:
https://www.qephom.de/e/message_from_maltz.html

--
Lieven L. Litaer