[tlhIngan Hol] Meta: Discussions about new words found in Netflix' Klingon subtitles for Star Trek: Discovery

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 00:29:48 PST 2017

On 6 November 2017 at 16:51, Felix Malmenbeck <felixm at kth.se> wrote:

> {Qobchugh chaH, vaj 'oH vIjemlaHbe'.}
> "If their intentions were nefarious, I would be the first to sense a
> threat."

I understood this differently until I read the English translation.

The Klingon says "If they are dangerous (conditioned on their being
dangerous), I cannot (would not be able to) detect it." That is, they have
the ability to hide their nefariousness from me. They might be very
dangerous!

The English really means something like: "Conditioned on their being
dangerous, I would be able to detect it, but I don't." That is, they can't
hide their nefariousness from me, but I don't sense it. Thus they are not
dangerous.

It's the opposite of what's apparently intended.

{tugh DunchoHbej jemmeH laHmeylIj.}
> "Even your limited sensory abilities will improve eventually."

Is this supposed to be {tagha'} instead of {tugh}? We also have {SIbI'Ha'}
from Klingon Monopoly. But {tugh} seems to be the opposite of what the
English says.

It also seems like it would be a good place for {vabDot}, if we knew how to
use it. :-)

> {nov yIn, nov nugh je wanI'mey but SIgh Duj beq net tuch.}
> "No starship may interfere with the normal development of any alien life
> or civilization."

This seems like a good place to use {joq} instead of {je}. I presume that
interfering with any alien life "and/or" civilisation is forbidden, not
just that interfering with any alien life "and" civilisation (i.e., both at
the same time) is forbidden.

I like that {Duj beq} was used for "starship", avoiding the metonym which
exists in English but not necessarily in Klingon.

--
De'vID