[tlhIngan Hol] Okrand about typing the apostrophe

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 20 06:26:04 PST 2017

In addition to our recent discussion about how to display the
apostrophe, Okrand's opinion is that he does not care:

----
For the archive: this is printed in qepHom 2017, page 22.
----
I use whichever apostrophe pops up in the word processor or email system
or whatever that I happen to be using. For the books, the publisher
decided what apostrophe to use (along with deciding on the font).

My email automatically uses the straight apostrophe ('), so if I'm
writing an email, that's the one that shows up.

My word processor can use either one. By default, it uses the fancy one
(’), so that's the one that usually shows up if I'm typing there. When I
do that, I'm careful to not use its counterpart (the open single quote –
‘). I actually like the fancy one better, for typographical (not
grammatical or linguistic) reasons, but it really doesn't make any
difference which one is used.

When I send an email that consists partly of something I type in the
email system and partly of something I've cut and pasted from a Word
document or the like, it may be the case that sometimes there's one
apostrophe and other times there's another in the same email. But I try
to avoid that.

Either ’ or ' is fine with me for the apostrophe. It's ugly – but not
outright wrong – to use both in the same document; pick one or the
other. But ‘ as an apostrophe is always wrong (in Klingon and in English!).

----
This information from #qepHom2017 will be added to the page "Message
from Maltz" on qepHom.de:
https://www.qephom.de/e/message_from_maltz.html

--
Lieven L. Litaer