[tlhIngan Hol] Netflix Press Release words

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 20 03:29:09 PST 2017

Hello again,

here are the definitions and details for the words used in the Netflix
Press Release:

----
For the archive: this is printed in qepHom 2017, page 12.
----
LLL: Is there a Klingon word to refer to a TV-show, and how would make a
difference to a movie? Would {ghe'naQ much} be appropriate?

MO: I think I'd use much for "show" (or even "movie") rather than
{ghe'naQ} (unless, of course, it really is an opera). I think {HaSta
much} (or even {HaSta jIH much}) is fine for "TV show."

For "watch," {bej} is fine. Depending on the meaning of the full
sentence, {jIH} might be okay also.

For "account," use {mab}. This means "treaty," but also "agreement,
contract."

For "content," {lutmey} is okay.

A "series" can be called {lut mIr}.

For "offer, provide," Maltz revealed the word {peS} "supply, furnish,
provide, dispense."

LLL: It can certainly take an object, I guess, the thing that is given.
The question will be the use of the verb. Can the army supply their
soldiers with weapons?

MO: Right.

LLL: "Dispense" sounds like "give away".

MO: "Dispense" here is in the sense of "hand out, give out, distribute."
"Give away" means to give something to somebody for free, as a gift.
{peS} does not necessarily mean that, though it could be used for that.
It's not the same as {nob}.

LLL: Can a person stand in the street and {peS} food or papers to the
people?

MO: Yes.

LLL: Does Maltz "provide" us with words?

MO: No. If you said that sentence, it would imply that Maltz, for
example, handed out little pieces of paper with words written on them. A
verb to use for what Maltz does when he tells us words is {'otHa'}
"disclose, divulge."  {'ot} means "withhold (information)".

LLL: I think you don't say {nupeS} "he provides us". Right?

MO: Right. Unless we are the things he is providing to someone. But of
course {nupeS} is okay if you're using the prefix trick.

----
This information from #qepHom2017 will be added to the page "Message
from Maltz" on qepHom.de later:
https://www.qephom.de/e/message_from_maltz.html

--
Lieven L. Litaer