[tlhIngan Hol] Rising Heroes Video

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Thu Jun 1 17:21:39 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Juliana Bukoski <jfbukoski at gmail.com> wrote:

> ...I was hoping someone could look at this and let me know if there are
> any errors:

I see some wording that I would change for clarity and/or style, but only a
couple of outright errors. I'll mark my corrections with *** asterisks.

> tlhIngan Hol vIHaD. cha' ngoQ vIghaj. wa'DIch: Hol patlh ghojwI' vIchav
> vIneH.

I'd say {ghojwI' Hol patlh}. It is probably fine in the order you did it,
but I think it sounds better the other way around.

> patlhvam chavlu'meH, qep'a'Daq qaD tu'lu'.

Since {qaD} is also a verb, I would make it more concise: {qep'a'Daq
qaDlu'.} Your wording is perfectly understandable, but I usually try not to
rely too much on {tu'lu'}.

> 'op mu'tlhegh mughnISlu'. qaDvamvaD jIqeqmeH,

[Note that you used {qeq} in an intransitive sense here. The subject is
what gets the benefit of the training. I'll come back to that later.]

> 'echletHomDaq mu'tay' vISovnISbogh jIghItlhpu'.

The suffix {-ta'} is probably more appropriate than {-pu'}. Presumably you
set out to write the vocabulary, and you accomplished it.

> jIyIttaHvIS vIHaD. pab vIHaDmeH, mu'ghom tlhIngan vIlaDqa' 'ej paq latlh,
> "From the Grammarian's Desk", vIlaDchoHpu'.

*** You have some noun-noun phrases backwards. "Klingon dictionary" is
{tlhIngan mu'ghom}, and "another book" is {latlh paq}. (You probably can't
get away with just saying {latlh} "additional one" there, since you didn't
explicitly refer to TKD as a book.)

> tlhIngan Hol jIQoyDI', vIyajlaH vIneH.

*** The first verb needs to have a prefix matching the third-person object:
{vIQoyDI'}.

> ngoQ cha'DIch 'oH.

I would have expected {ngoQwIj}, and indeed your English version says
"my...goal." I'll not call it an error, but you probably should add the
possessive suffix.

> ngoQvam Qatlh law' ngoQwIj wa'DIch Qatlh puS. wa' ben, mu' law' vISov,
> 'ach jIHvaD jatlhchugh vay', vIyajlaHbe'.

majQa'. pupchu' Hoch.

> vaj, teSDu'wIj vIqeqnIS.

*** Remember when I asked you to note how you used {qeq} before? You're
using it differently here, with the object receiving the benefit of the
training. I believe your first sentence has the right meaning, and you need
to find either a different word or a different grammatical structure for
this one. It could be as easy as adding the suffix {-moH}:

   vaj teSDu'wIj vIqeqnISmoH

Or you could turn it around:

   vaj qeqnIS teSDu'wIj

Neither of these sounds perfect to me, though.

> qon puS vIghaj. qonDaq, tlhIngan Hol jatlh po'wI'pu'.

*** {qon} "record" is a verb. You can substitute the noun {ta}, and I
suggest calling it a {ghogh ta} "voice record" or {wab ta} "sound record"
in the first mention.

*** The final verb needs the proper prefix: {lujatlh}.

>  vI'Ij 'ej mu'mey jatlhbogh vIghItlh 'e' vInID. bom tlhIngan vI'Ij je.

*** {tlhIngan bom} for "Klingon songs"

jupwI', DaH peja'. ngoQraj bochav'a'? tlhIngan vIttlheghvam yIqaw:
> bIQapqu'meH, tar DaSop 'e' DatIvnIS.

majQa'! It's simple, straightforward, and close enough that I understood
what you intended before I looked at the English.

-- ghunchu'wI'