[tlhIngan Hol] My list of 19 new words revisited

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 27 06:52:38 PDT 2017

Nice to see you back on the list, Jesse.  A couple of notes:

1. For glasses we already have a word from “TalkNow! Klingon” (TNK): {mIn QanwI' nguv} “sunglasses” (i.e., “dark eye protectors”) – which implies {mIn QanwI'} for regular eyeglasses. If you really want to be specific, you could say {mIn QanwI’ Dem} “uncolored glasses” using the new verb {Dem} “be clear, transparent, uncolored” from qepHom 2016.

2. For tank top, don’t forget {yIvbeH}:

(KGT 57f.):  the traditional warrior's tunic ({yIvbeH}) was made of a material (what it was is now unknown) resistant to puncture, just to add a little protection. Accompanying sleeves ({tlhaymey}), originally not parts of the tunic itself, were generally made of animal pelts ({veDDIrmey}) … (In modern usage, the word {yIvbeH} in most places means any shirt, with or without sleeves.)
(KGT 29f.):  In the Vospeg ({voSpegh}) region, on the other hand, {yIvbeH} refers only to a sleeveless shirt (thus retaining much of the word's original meaning, a sleeveless protective garment worn by warriors), {wep} means a shirt with sleeves, and any jacket or coat is a {cheSvel}, a word that elsewhere refers to a specific style of coat associated with, not surprisingly, the Vospeg region.

3. For teenagers and adolescents – as you know from KGT we have:

nen            growth, maturation (n)
nen            be mature, be grown-up, be adult (v)
nenchoH  mature, grow up (v)

*{nenHa’} would be a good way to refer to someone immature, not grown-up; in other words, an adolescent or teenager.  That being said, Okrand - or is it Maltz? - usually refers to them as “younger Klingons”, “younger people”, “younger speakers”, “the younger generation”, etc.  E.g.

(KGT 138):  the characteristic patterns of younger people's speech, if noticed and commented upon, are more likely to be judged sloppy or careless rather than wrong.

(KGT 141):  Despite this debatable advantage, and despite the slow but ongoing spread of the practice among younger speakers, most Klingons still consider the ambiguous use of {yI-} an error.

So {tlhInganpu’ Qan}, {nuv Qan}, {jatlhwI’pu’ Qan}, {puq poH Qan}, etc.

--
Voragh

From: Jesse Manoogian

Back at the end of 2015, I appeared on this mailing list with a list of 19 words missing in Klingon. Upon your encouragement I came up with equivalents for most of them using the existent roots, but now I see that many of my conceptions on how Klingon agglutination worked were wrong.

Well, I've been reading up on tlhIngan Hol -- learning more about the vocabulary, the affixes, and the rules of morphology, and I think I've got acceptable compounds and workarounds for all the words on my list now.

Have a gander.

glasses: mIn'al'onmey (eye-glass-PL)

tank top: be'nalmoqwI' (a calque of the English wifebeater)

be teenage, be adolescent: nenchoH (become adult)
teen, adolescent, youth, young adult: nuv nenchoH (person becoming adult)