[tlhIngan Hol] My list of 19 new words revisited

Jesse Manoogian boyfromtheabyss at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 26 21:02:57 PDT 2017

Hi, guys. It's Andrew again.

Back at the end of 2015, I appeared on this mailing list with a list of 19 words missing in Klingon. Upon your encouragement I came up with equivalents for most of them using the existent roots, but now I see that many of my conceptions on how Klingon agglutination worked were wrong.

Well, I've been reading up on tlhIngan Hol -- learning more about the vocabulary, the affixes, and the rules of morphology, and I think I've got acceptable compounds and workarounds for all the words on my list now.

Have a gander.

be blonde: SuD (be yellow) works fine
be straight (of hair): beQ (be flat)
be curly: gho rur (resemble a circle)
be wavy: yu'eghmey rur (resemble waves)
be bald: jIb ghajbe' (to not have hair)
be hazel: SuD 'ej wovbe' (be yellow/green and non-bright -- I thought "SuD 'ej Doq 'ej wovbe'" was too unwieldy)
freckles: DIrvemmey (skin-mark-PL)
wrinkle: bentlhegh (age-line)
glasses: mIn'al'onmey (eye-glass-PL)
braces: Ho'baS (tooth-metal -- it's singular -- as I understand, they say the singular "brace" in British English, so this has precedent)
tattoo: DIrmIllogh (skin-picture)
jeans: yopwaH ghegh (rough pants) -- and I also notice "yopwaH buq" for "pants pouch; trouser pocket" -- how about buq yopwaH for cargo pants?
polo shirt: wep yor poSmoH ([sleeved] shirt with open top)
tank top: be'nalmoqwI' (a calque of the English wifebeater)
headphones: nachQoywI' (head-hearer . . . a calque from the German Kopfhörer)
skateboard: rutlh'echlet (wheel-board)
guitar: javHurDagh (six + stringed instrument)
bass: javHurDagh jaQ (deep guitar)
be teenage, be adolescent: nenchoH (become adult)
teen, adolescent, youth, young adult: nuv nenchoH (person becoming adult)

pItlh!