[tlhIngan Hol] Imperatives and {-be'}

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 03:09:05 PDT 2017

On 6 July 2017 at 21:07, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
> On 7/6/2017 2:54 PM, Lieven wrote:
>> TKD does not explicitely prohibit THIS example, it prohibits using -be'
in
>> the puporse of a negative imperative.
>
> TKD says "The suffix -be' cannot be used with imperative verbs." It does
not
> draw the distinction you are making. It does explicitly prohibit this
> example. Whether or not that's what Okrand meant is another story.

It doesn't actually *explicitly* rule out the distinction. That's something
you're reading into it.

At issue is what "used with" means. You interpret it to mean "used anywhere
within the same verb". Another Interpretation is that using a negation
suffix "with" an imperative verb means to negate the whole verb (that is,
"with" is not identical to "in").

TKD also says that when {-'egh} and {-chuq} are used, the prefix must show
"no object", but we know that's not true when the verb also has {-moH}. In
some places, TKD seems to treat verbs with {-moH} as if {-moH} hides the
prefixes before it.

--
De'vID