[tlhIngan Hol] original canon information on Facebook

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Mon Jul 31 22:13:40 PDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:33 PM, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On a few occasions, original canon information have been posted to
> Facebook, which is somewhat unfortunate as posts are not accessible
> without an account. Furthermore, I've discovered that older posts may
> disappear.
>
> Here are the posts containing original canon information that I know about:
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/LearnKlingon/permalink/468288866612668/
> {ghIn pIn} n. abbott

I do not consider "I once heard Marc Okrand say X" as a definitive source.
In any case, this is a phrase that means pretty much what the individual
words mean, and I doubt that anyone who could read it would need to have it
defined explicitly. Until it's confirmed by either a forwarded email or by
the testimony of multiple people who were present, I'm not going to give it
publicity.

> https://www.facebook.com/zrajm/posts/10154361398897846/
> {jIr} excl. Big deal!, Who cares! Whoop-dee-doo!, La-dee-dah!
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/tlhInganHol/permalink/1005787589437500/
> {qIt} n. a kind of bird [later also widely revealed at Saarbrücken qepHom
> 2016]
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/LearnKlingon/permalink/1386341591474053/
> {muylIS} n. eyelash [just now from qep'a' 2017]

These are in the New Words List, with appropriate attribution and with more
information.

> These latter two links appear to be broken and no longer accessible,
> but contained information on the words {qoSta'} and {'aplo'} not found
> elsewhere:
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/LearnKlingon/permalink/459675987473956/
> {qoSta'} may be thought of as a flat version of {SIrgh}
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/LearnKlingon/permalink/459684117473143/
> {'aplo'} is the generic term for a small container

These words are also in the New Words List, though the first one doesn't
have the specific commentary you suggest and the second doesn't have the
certainty of what you wrote. Without an indication of where those phrases
came from, I'm not going to record them as official. As they appear to have
been deleted, I suspect whoever wrote them realized he was presenting his
own speculation as if it were authoritative and decided to withdraw it.

-- ghunchu'wI'