[tlhIngan Hol] Experience and usage of jeS

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 21:51:34 PDT 2017

On 1 August 2017 at 00:17, Jeremy Silver <jp.silver at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday, 31 July 2017 16:31:14 BST Steven Boozer wrote:
>> laS veghaS HIltonDaq «Hov leng: yIjeSchu'»
>> qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH HIlton yIghoS
>> Come celebrate the grand opening of “Star Trek:
>> The Experience” at the Las Vegas Hilton. (STX)
>
> Thanks for reminding us of this example.
>
> I've recently been trying to work out a way to express the quote:
> "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original
> Klingon."

While {DuQ} is said to apply to good food or music, I think poetic
license may allow it to apply to literature also. "You haven't been
stabbed by Shakespeare until he's stabbed you in the original
Klingon..."

> I threw together a couple of ways, which I'm not sure about:
> {SeQpIr Daleghchu'be'pu', mung tlhIngan HolDajDaq ghaH DalaDpu'pa'.}
> {SeQpIr Daleghchu' neH, mung tlhIngan HolDajDaq ghaH DalaDDI'.}

I don't think {legh} has the sense of "experience". I'd use {SIQ}.
(While "endure, bear" seem to have negative connotations in English,
{SIQ} seems neutral or even positive for Klingons.)

> And now I'm reminded of this STE communique, I've given it another go with
> {jeS}:
> {SeQpIr DalaDtaHvIS bIjeSchu'be', mung tlhIngan HolDajDaq ghaH DalaDpu'pa'.}
>
> I'm fairly sure I've made a few errors with those. So if anyone has pointers
> as to how to go about recasting/correcting one, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Are there more examples of {jeS} in use?

There are the example sentences from the Saarbrücken qepHom in 2016:
qaStaHvIS qepHom jIjeS.
qaS qepHom 'ej jIjeS.
qaS qepHom vaj jIjeS.

--