[tlhIngan Hol] <<poSayDon>> continued

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Feb 1 10:43:30 PST 2017

I intentionally avoided that translation because it obscures the answer
to the question. English "will have been opened" can mean it will be
opened a year from now or ninety-nine years from now. The Klingon means
it's opened one hundred years from now and that the opening is completed.

Compare the canonical sentence, *wa'maH loS ben jIboghpu'*/I was born
forty years ago./ It doesn't mean that as of forty years ago I was
already born; it means that forty years ago my birth took place and was
completed.

The perfect tense ("occurs prior to the time context") is not the same
as the perfective aspect ("comes to completion"). Okrand HAS used a
perfective suffix to indicate perfect tense, but it's defined, and
usually works in canon, as perfective aspect. His English translations
don't always elucidate the difference.