[tlhIngan Hol] -lI': intentional or not?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Feb 28 08:56:20 PST 2017

On 2/28/2017 11:45 AM, Lieven wrote:
> Am 28.02.2017 um 16:26 schrieb SuStel:
>> None of them are used to describe an agentless action, lending credence
>> to the argument that the dearth of agentless *-lI'* shows that it isn't
>> allowed.
>
> Could you rephrase that, so that a non-native english speaking
> non-linguist can understand, please.

One of the three arguments made to support the idea that *-lI'* can only
be used when someone /intends/ the action to reach a goal is that of all
the canonical examples of *-lI',* none involve an action someone did not
choose a goal for. "If *-lI'* can be used for stopping points not
intended by anybody," goes the argument, "why don't we see any examples
of this in the canon?"

Voragh listed seven examples of *-lI'* from /paq'batlh,/ all of which
are about actions in which someone intends a specific outcome.

With an even greater number of examples of *-lI'* that do not show that
someone set up a goal intentionally, the "why haven't we seen any?"
argument grows stronger.