[tlhIngan Hol] Is Star Trek: Discovery a new canon category?

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Thu Aug 10 20:41:54 PDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 10:28 PM, nIqolay Q <niqolay0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the major differences between Discovery and Klingon Hamlet is that
> Discovery is going to be Actual Star Trek Canon.

It's going to be *Star Trek* canon. We already put a higher standard than
that on canonical tlhIngan Hol. I believe the only thing that elevates
something to that standard is having Marc Okrand produce it and/or put his
name on it.

> As far as the Star Trek fanbase at large is concerned, Qov's sentences are
> going to be as canonical as anything else on the shows and movies.

You mean like "nagosse tilo-g cha da!" for ending a marriage or "nooknay
kaylogness" as a greeting? Fine, they'll be canonical Star Trek. I expect
they will be exceptionally good, if not impeccable, tlhIngan Hol. I still
don't believe they should be enshrined as "example sentences" alongside the
Useful Klingon Expressions from TKD, the curses in PK, the proverbs in TKW,
the idioms in KGT, etc.

> If Qov writes "X is the way to say sentence Y in Klingon" and that's what
> the show uses as the translation, that's going to be treated as
> authoritatively as, say, the idea that you can get a deceased loved one
> into Sto-Vo-Kor by dedicating a glorious battle to them (like Worf did for
> Jadzia). How should we deal with that? Are we okay ignoring things depicted
> as Klingon Canon on the show?

Who's calling for them to be ignored? They should be embraced and
celebrated, but they should not be exalted.

> Of course, if Okrand wants to change his precedent and not approve this
> particular TV Klingon as real, {vaj may' bom pIm wIbom.} Has he said
> anything about this one way or another?

He doesn't "approve" everything seen on screen. We have no real way to
incorporate "louk, a jee chim ta law" or "bIHnuch" into our knowledge of
productive tlhIngan Hol rules and examples, for instance.

Anything he *does* approve is worth recording in a dictionary or collection
of examples to use for teaching, certainly.

-- ghunchu'wI'