[tlhIngan Hol] When we "listen to music" what do we use ? {'Ij} or {Qoy} ? Or both ?

DloraH seruq at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 10 15:51:47 PDT 2017

On Thu, 2017-08-10 at 10:28 -0400, SuStel wrote:
> On 8/10/2017 10:17 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> > If we want to say that someone "is listening music", then what do we
> > use ? {'Ij} or {Qoy} ? Or both ?
>
> I don't think we know this one either, but Okrand makes a distinction
> between the verbs in TKW:
>
>     The verb *Qoy* means "hear," not just "listen." One must actually
>     perceive and understand that which is being said.
>
> This doesn't tell whether one does *Qoy* or *'Ij* to music, but it
> implies that one can *'Ij* without actually*Qoy*-ing anything. *'Ij*
> seems to be the active attempt to detect sound; *Qoy* is the passive
> fact that sound has been detected.

I wonder if this is similar to nej and Sam.
One can nej for something and possibly not find it.  nej doesn't specify
whether one finds what they're looking for or not.
Sam tells us that they looked for it and indeed did find it.

Maybe 'Ij is that one listens, but if it turns out there is no sound,
they end up not hearing (Qoy) anything.

A-"Listen ('Ij) for the guard."

B-"I don't hear (Qoy) anybody coming."
or
B-"Yes, I hear (Qoy) him.  Quick, hide."

- DloraH