[tlhIngan Hol] When we "listen to music" what do we use ? {'Ij} or {Qoy} ? Or both ?

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 16:15:29 PDT 2017

On 10 August 2017 at 16:28, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
> On 8/10/2017 10:17 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
>
>> If we want to say that someone "is listening music", then what do we
>> use ? {'Ij} or {Qoy} ? Or both ?

I would say that if the music is just on while you're doing something
else, it's {'Ij}. But if you're actually actively thinking about the
lyrics, it's {Qoy}.

> I don't think we know this one either, but Okrand makes a distinction
> between the verbs in TKW:
>
> The verb Qoy means "hear," not just "listen." One must actually perceive and
> understand that which is being said.
>
> This doesn't tell whether one does Qoy or 'Ij to music, but it implies that
> one can 'Ij without actually Qoy-ing anything. 'Ij seems to be the active
> attempt to detect sound; Qoy is the passive fact that sound has been
> detected.

The English word "hear" is weird in that it's used both for passive
sound detection ("suddenly, he heard a noise") and for active
comprehension ("the crowd hear Kahless' call for unity and join
together as one").

We have several examples of {Qoy} in canon, which should clarify its meaning.
{HIQoymoH} "let me hear (something)" (TKD)
{jach SuvwI' 'e' yIQoy!} "Hear the warrior cry out!" (TKW)
{'IwlIj ghogh yIQoy.} "Listen to the voice of your blood." (TKW)
{Qoy qeylIS puqloD, Qoy puqbe'pu'} "Hear! Sons of Kahless. Hear!
Daughters too." (Star Trek: Klingon CD)

--
De'vID