[tlhIngan Hol] Is Star Trek: Discovery a new canon category?

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 12:05:08 PDT 2017

On 10 August 2017 at 20:33, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
>> 2. Things done by Klingonists in which Okrand had major involvement
>> (paq'batlh... anything else in this category?)
>
> This is cat. 1 for me, as the book says "translated by Okrand". He did a lot
> of work on this, even though not 100%, but he has obviously approved and/or
> vetted it.

I'm inclined to agree. I only separated it because it has some weird
grammar and some people think the Klingon is of lower quality than
category #1 canon.

>> 3. Things done by Klingonists in which Okrand had some involvement
>> (I'm not sure the extent of his involvement in Klingon Christmas
>> Carol? Maybe that belongs in category #2?... TalkNow! Klingon,
>> Festival of the Spoken Nerd)
>
> AKCC does NOT count as canon to me, but TNK dfinitely does, Okrand approved
> all of it.

Well, when I worked on the Festival of the Spoken Nerd subtitles, I
wrote the translations as best as I could using words we knew then,
sent them to Okrand with requests about the gaps, and he replied back
with suggestions or new words, for a few rounds. At the end he
approved my translation, but I would only consider the words and
definitions he supplied to be canon. The final subtitles, I would say,
were my work (and not canon).

Granted, this is different from TNK which is basically just a list of
words and not full sentences.

I don't know how much contact Qov had with Okrand about DSC, but the
difference with DSC is of course that her work will appear on an
official show.

--
De'vID