[tlhIngan Hol] Combining {-meH} with a question

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 3 08:14:22 PDT 2017

“Difficult to hit?” is also a sentence fragment in English.  Clipped if you prefer, which may be why Okrand rendered it as he did.

Another example:

  Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH

  How much do you want for that?  (TKD)

--Voragh

On Behalf Of SuStel

On 8/3/2017 10:53 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:

Can we have a {-meH} phrase followed by question ?

e.g.:

maQapmeH chay' mavangnIS ?

In order to succeed how do we need to act ?

romuluSngan DaHoHmeH, nuq 'oH nuH'e' ?

romuluSngan DaHoHmeH, nuH 'oH nuq'e' ?

In order that you kill the romulan what is the weapon ?

choQaHmeH bIHeQQo''a' ?

in order to make me angry you refuse to comply ?

I don't see any problem with this.

I can only think of one canonical example of -meH on a question, and it's a lousy example. qIpmeH Qatlh'a' difficult to hit? (ST5) It's a bad example because it's talking about being difficult for the purpose of hitting, which is not really the purpose of being difficult.