[tlhIngan Hol] Proper use of adverbial {je}

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 09:25:32 PDT 2017

SuStel:
> Answer this: what is the difference between *You are beautiful > and you
are tall* and *You are beautiful and you are also tall*?

Meaning-wise, there is no difference; at least no difference that I can
think of.

However, the reason which led to this thread in the first place, wasn't
that I actually believed there was a difference to start with.

The problem is, that if you're writing a klingon passage, which will be
only 5-10 sentences, then you can certainly go ahead and repeat the same
word several times.

But when you start writing longer passages, soon you realize that even
though alternate ways of expressing the same thing - as far as their
meaning is concerned - may be identical, you still need them.

Why ?

Because you owe it to the reader, to present to him a passage, which
doesn't make him tired with the same repetitions over and over.

Who would like to read something like: {yadda yadda 'ej yadda. yadda 'ej.
yadda yadda 'ej. yadda 'ej yadda yadda. 'ej yadda}. ?

It may be grammatical, but it is ugly. And quite frankly, if I was reading
something like it, I would get the feeling that the writer is either lazy,
or incompetent.

Now, if canon doesn't give is the tools to write in a fluid, and pleasant
way for the reader, then that's another story.

But if there were ways to write more fluidly, without breaking any rules,
then why not explore the possibility ?

qunnoq