[tlhIngan Hol] Is Star Trek: Discovery a new canon category?

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 19:28:35 PDT 2017

One of the major differences between Discovery and Klingon Hamlet is that
Discovery is going to be Actual Star Trek Canon. As far as the Star Trek
fanbase at large is concerned, Qov's sentences are going to be as canonical
as anything else on the shows and movies. If Qov writes "X is the way to
say sentence Y in Klingon" and that's what the show uses as the
translation, that's going to be treated as authoritatively as, say, the
idea that you can get a deceased loved one into Sto-Vo-Kor by dedicating a
glorious battle to them (like Worf did for Jadzia). How should we deal with
that? Are we okay ignoring things depicted as Klingon Canon on the show?

Like I said earlier, though, I'm not entirely sure it's a big deal. If
Okrand ends up approving it as "real Klingon" in some way (either as
standard "Maltz Hol" or an artifact of some dialect), like he's done with
all the other stuff presented as Klingon on the show but not written by
him, then I feel like the argument boils down to: Do we wait for him to
share his thoughts on Qov's dialogue (at the next qep'a' or whenever)
before accepting it? Or will it eventually be okay to just take a shortcut
and accept it when it airs, and only wait for his thoughts on anything
controversial?

Of course, if Okrand wants to change his precedent and not approve this
particular TV Klingon as real, {vaj may' bom pIm wIbom.} Has he said
anything about this one way or another?