[tlhIngan Hol] Placing the {-wI'} on verbs with prefixes

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Aug 9 07:23:55 PDT 2017

On 8/9/2017 10:15 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> There are some prefixes which have multiple meanings. For example:
> {vI-} for "I-he/she/it/them".
>
> But there are other prefixes, which have only one meaning. For example
> {jI-} for "I-none", {cho-} for "you-me".
>
> Using the prefixes which have only one meaning, could we write:
>
> {jIghItlhwI'} for "I who write"
> {chobejwI'} for "you who watches me" ?
>
> And I'm saying "using the prefixes which have only one meaning",
> because obviously if we used prefixes which have multiple meanings,
> the result would be ambiguous.

This is an old, old theory.

No *-wI'* has ever been canonically observed with any prefix, ever. I
believe it is never done. My thinking is that the job of the prefix is
to agree with the subject and object, whether stated or elided, not to
set them. As such, it is not as closely associated with the verb as
suffixes (it doesn't change the verb's meaning the way suffixes do), and
so the suffixes take priority. *-wI'* turns the verb into a noun, and
you can't add prefixes to nouns./*.*/