[tlhIngan Hol] New meanings given to Klingon words by users?

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sun Sep 11 11:33:23 PDT 2016

Am 11.09.2016 um 18:08 schrieb Felix Malmenbeck:
> One good example is perhaps {jup ruS}, which  is used for "friendship",
> although just a few days ago Marc translated "friendship" as {jup ghom}.

Just be careful with such statements, also as a warning for readers: The
kind of "friendship" that facebook refers to ("liaison between freinds")
may be another meaning that the one just translated by Okrand. A part
from the smithsonian website says

"[...] some of which required creative interpretation for our
interstellar audiences. [...] John Glenn’s Mercury spacecraft became
“Mercury jup ghom Soch” (“Group of Friends 7”), because there is no
Klingonese word for “friend.” "

The phrase should obviously have ended "friendship"... But note the
english translation of the Klingon which says "group of friends", not
"friendship". It seems to me that Okrand decided to give the ship a
different name.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh