[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Daqtagh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 6 08:13:27 PDT 2016

mayqel qunenoS
> common knife, or warrior's knife ?
>
> > Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, September 06, 2016
> >
> > Klingon word: Daqtagh
> > Part of speech: noun
> > Definition: common knife know as a *d'k tahg*
> > Source: KGT

  jej; Daqtagh rur
  sharp as a d'k tahg KGT

The {Daqtagh" is a special type of three-bladed knife first seen in ST3, which all warriors carry - sometimes called a *lev'ek* in fandom (the klingonaase word?) - which is usually personalized with their name and House.

(KGT 61):  The three-bladed warrior's knife (one main blade plus two smaller blades that spring out at the base of the blade) is {Daqtagh}, sometimes rendered *d'k tahg* in the Federation. In addition to the extra blades (frequently termed {tajHommey} ["little blades"]), at the end of the knife's handle ({ret'aq}) there is a spiked pommel, called simply {moQ} (sphere). A spike is a {DuQwI'} and the small spikes on the *d'k tahg* are usually called {DuQwI'Hommey} (little spikes).

It is sometimes referred to as {may' taj} "battle knife":

  lI'qu' tlhIngan may' taj
  The Klingon battle knife is designed primarily for
  versatility of use... SP2

(SkyBox SP2):  The Klingon battle knife is designed primarily for versatility of use, so that the user is never caught at a disadvantage. Two small, secondary blades eject from the knife's sides, providing both a hand guard and another set of cutting edges. A brutally spiked pommel fastens the hilt together to provide a damaging surprise attack or give a devastating backhand stroke.

CULTURAL NOTES:
"But a Klingon is not born a warrior. Being a warrior is something that must be earned. Before I earned this knife, I owned a {ghojmeH taj}, a boy's knife." (Gowron discussing his *d'k tahg*, STK 12)

A {Daqtagh} is used to play a variant of the game qeylIS mInDu'. (KCD)

SEE ALSO:
taj  			knife, dagger (the general word)
'etlh 		blade (of any kind); sword (general word)

Klingons are fond of knives and have many specialized types.  E.g.

Haqtaj  		scalpel
naH taj  		vegetable knife, fruit knife (small)
pe'meH taj  	cutting knife
rol taj  		razor
SoStaj  		mother's knife
QIS			wavy-bladed knife
'aqnaw 		type of knife (general purpose)
qutluch		ceremonial serrated knife (traditionally used by assassins)
SIjwI' 		"slitter" [knife used for food preparation]
ghonDoq 		a slender-bladed knife

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'