[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chaQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 17 10:55:50 PDT 2016

> Hmm... that makes sense. It also makes sense for that to be the more
> default way of thrusting/striking with the bat'leth, since the attacker is
> working with gravity rather than fighting it.
> Do we have any examples where {Qach} is used to indicate a side-to-side
> swing, in a context where we know that that's what was happening?

AFAIK the ONLY example of {Qach} used in any context is:

  pe'vIl mupmeH betleH Qach 
  "The Mighty Blow of the Bat'leth" (PB; paq'raD, Canto 20: title)

I'm not sure if it helps, but note the verb used {mup} "impact, strike" - as well as the nouns {mupwI'} "hammer" and {mupwI'Hom} "mallet (for striking a musical instrument)".  Perhaps the exact action is described in the Canto proper.

{Qach} is mentioned a few times in KGT:

(KGT 63f.):  The general term for ax is {'obmaQ}. Its handle is its {DeS} and its blade is its {ghIt}. These words, {DeS} and {ghIt}, when referring to humanoid anatomy, mean arm and open, flat hand (as opposed to a fist), respectively, suggesting that at one time the ax was considered an extension of the warrior himself. A double-headed ax is a {jey'naS}, while an ax with an added spike at the end is a {'alngegh}. To wield or swing a club is {Qach}.

(KGT 64):  There exists a weapon that might be described as a cross between an ax and a bat'leth. The {'aqleH} has what looks like half a bat'leth at the end of a handle. To manipulate the {'aqleH} is {Qach}.

(KGT 67):  The most ancient and primitive of the Klingon weapons is the {jeqqIj}, the club or bludgeon. This weapon is made of wood, sometimes with inlaid rocks, and is heavier at one end than the other. Included in this category is the {ghanjaq}, often translated as "mace", a club with a metal head, sometimes sporting spikes ({DuQwI'mey}). As with axes, to wield or swing a club is {Qach}. 

I suspect {Qach} is a just general term for wielding (traditional?) weapons that are not swords:

(KGT 61):  There is also the verb {yan}, which means "wield or manipulate (a sword)". A swordfighter, then, would be a {yanwI'}, literally a "sword wielder"); the word for the specific type of sword may be, but need not be, included. It is thus proper to say {betleH yanwI'} ("bat'leth wielder") or {betleH yan} ("He/she wields a bat'leth").

  naH jajmeywIj betleH vIyanbe' 
  In my vegetable days, I did not wield a bat'leth. KGT

There doesn't seem to be a general verb for wielding/using a knife or dagger although there are specialized verbs - e.g. {pe'} "cut", {SIj} "slit", {DuQ} "stab" - which are probably used with any kind of {'etlh} "sword, blade (of any kind)".

tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list