[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qop

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 31 13:25:10 PDT 2016

Thanks for looking these up in the paq’batlh.

Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol [mailto:tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org]
On Behalf Of André Müller

There is another example of {'av} used in the paq'batlh:

vaj Suto'vo'qor lojmIt / Da'av.
«Therefore, you will guard / The gate of Sto-vo-kor.»
I don't know the page, unfortunately.
- André

I’ve always thought {‘avwI’} “guard” is the best currently available word for a police officer in general.  (No doubt in a militarized society like Kronos there are numerous specialized security services of which we know next to nothing.)  Okrand certainly uses {‘avwI’} in a general sense, especially here:

Qo'noSDaq paw cha' DIvI' beq.
tlhIngan 'avwI' lughom.
Two Federation crewmen arrive on Kronos.
They meet a Klingon guard. (PK)
Oddly we only have one example of the verb {‘av} “guard” AFAIK:
  molor chalqach 'avlu'bogh pIrmuS lupawta'
  they reach the base of Molor's guarded tower (PB)