[tlhIngan Hol] jeS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 20 07:25:32 PDT 2016

>> The verb {jeS} ("participate") does not take an object. It generally
>> is in a phrase following a phrase saying what the subject of {jeS} is
>> participating in.  All of the following can be translated as "I
>> participate in the qepHom," though the literal meaning of each is
>> distinct:
>>
>> qaStaHvIS qepHom jIjeS "While the qepHom is happening, I participate"
>> qaS qepHom 'ej jIjeS   "The qepHom is happening, and I participate"
>> qaS qepHom vaj jIjeS   "The qepHom is happening, so I participate"

mayqel qunenoS:
> > I need to comment that in the aforementioned examples, there is an
> > ambiguity. Someone says something along the lines of "while this
> > happens" and continues by "I will participate". It does not specify
> > that "he will participate to THAT event".

Lieven:
> I'm not so sure about that. Okrand said "It generally is in a phrase
> following a phrase saying what the subject of jeS is participating in."
>
> So when a person says "I participate" after mentioning an event, at least
> in Klingon it's quite clear.
>
> Also in english, when a person says "There's a comic con tonight. I am
> going." Nobody would wonder where he is going to (unless he want to behave
> as a smartass).
>
> tugh qaS qepHom'a'. bIjeS'a'?
> "Are you attending the qepHom'a' next month?"
>
> wa'Hu' bom moqwI'pu'. jeS vaghSaD nuvpu'.
> "The beatles had a concert yesterday with 5,000 visitors."
>
> tachDaq Suv tlhInganpu'. jeS jav.
> "six Klingons participate in a bar fight"

I have a feeling that {SaH} "be present (not absent)" and {Dach} "be absent" also work like {jeS}.  There are no examples of {SaH} AFAIK, but there are two for {Dach}:

  qaStaHvIS wanI'vam yIDachQo'
  Don't miss this event!  (WSC)

  Dach Hoch SuvwI'pu' Hem
  All proud warriors were gone (PB)

Note the WSC example:  "While this event is happening, don't be absent!"

--
Voragh

P.S. WSC = Washington Shakespeare Company's "By Any Other Name: An Evening of Shakespeare in Klingon" (2010)