[tlhIngan Hol] [English] Using "pong" as a verb to say "my name is..." ?

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Oct 5 11:44:54 PDT 2016

Am 05.10.2016 um 19:03 schrieb Aurélie Demonchaux:

> *@Lieven / Quvar *

You may call me simply Lieven :-)

> For the –lu’ suffix, I like to compare it to the French “on” (3^rd
> person singular pronoun), which also conveys that the subject of the
> sentence is an indefinite someone

Also note the pronoun {net}, which is translated as "one" in English. It
may be similar to the the French "on".

> Similarly, in my notes on verbal prefixes, I translated the TKD prefix
> table into French, because we have 2 distinct pronouns for “you”
> (singular “tu” and plural “vous”), and Klingon makes the same
> singular/plural distinction.

Careful not to mix these up. In Klingon, there is no polite "vous" when
talking to one person. You should translate {bI-} as "tu/vous".

BTW, I always memorized {jI-} with french "je".

> Did you use similar techniques when learning Klingon, comparing some of
> its features with other languages to help you learn?

I do it all the time, as you see above.

>  2/ Thanks also for sharing comparative French - German examples – I’m
> still a beginner in German so it helps my German-learning too!

I speak five european languages, and it has always helped me a lot
comparing them to understand the others. Especially within the European
languages, there are often many common roots of words. This - of course
- will not happen in Klingon.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh