[tlhIngan Hol] Is this acceptable ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Nov 29 06:51:44 PST 2016

On 11/29/2016 9:45 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> SuStel:
>> If you're calling demons qa' Hurgh, why aren't angels qa' wov?
> I will write the reply in DIvI' Hol, because I'm replying in order to
> explain my choice of klingon words.
>
> The "dark" as an adjective describing the demons, hasn't anything to
> do with "evil". "dark" expresses the hidden/secret nature of these
> beings, let alone that their appearance is far from "dark" "black" or
> "scary". furthermore demons are quite capable of appearing as beings
> of light too.
>
> If I described the angels as {qa' wov}, I would be attributing to them
> a demonic attribute (appearance-wise), and even worst I would be
> describing them indirectly as being "good/loving/innocent", which they
> sure as hell aren't.

You're assuming that Klingons use the same metaphor /dark/ to refer to
being hidden or secret. I see no evidence of such a metaphor in the
canon. Frankly, I thought you were literally referring to demons as
lacking in light.

Without a known metaphor, be literal. If demons are hidden, use *qa'
leghbe'lu'bogh* /unseen spirit./ If they are secret, use *qa'
pegh*/secret spirit./ Or find some other, more appropriate descriptor.
But *Hurgh* just tells me that either they do not emit or reflect
visible-wavelength photons, or else they're spirit-pickles.