[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "must"

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Wed Nov 16 12:24:35 PST 2016

jatlh SuStel:

> vIleghnIS
> I need to see it
> I have a personal requirement to see it, the fulfillment of which

> will result in personal benefit. No outside agency has imposed

> on me the task of seeing it.

> vIlegh net raD
> I am compelled to see it
>Some agency forces me to see it. Whether I derive any benefit

> from seeing it is completely irrelevant.

> vIlegh net poQ
> I am required to see it

I agree that the first is less specific and the second two specify different situations.

> If you see me dancing up and down, you might conclude that

> puch vIlo'nIS I need to use the toilet. Going to the bathroom will

> result in the benefit of not peeing in my pants, but no one is

> requiring me to go. If you're my boss and you tell me puch yIlo'

> use the toilet! I can now truthfully say puch vIlo' net poQ I am

> required to use the bathroom, because you are the outside

> agency making the demand, and it's my job to do what you say,

> regardless of the state of or danger to my pants. I can also

> continue to say puch vIlo'nIS, because my own personal need

> has not disappeared, but it says nothing about your demand.

I still don't get it.  What's the difference between the agency of the boss and the agency of the bladder?

> If you, my boss, were to tell me, javmaH tat chu'wI' tIje' buy

> sixty ion triggers! but I find the buying of ion triggers a

> despicable act, I can truthfully say that javmaH tat chu'wI' vIje'

> net poQ 'ach vIje'nISqu'be' I am required to buy sixty ion

> triggers but I don't need to buy them. I don't personally have

> any such need, but I do have to do it anyway.

Sure you need them.  If you don't you will lose your job and dishonor yourself.  I can't get this contradictory statement to make any sense in my head.  Your boss has caused the first part to be true and the second part to be false.  Or perhaps your desire to keep your job has caused the first part to be true and the second part to be false.  Your starship can do the same thing.  Your OCD can do the same thing.  Which of those count as an agent and which don't?

Jeremy