[tlhIngan Hol] pIqaD in Unicode--again

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 03:20:47 PST 2016

On 8 November 2016 at 02:16, Mark Shoulson <mark at kli.org> wrote:
> Thought I would let people here know, since I have sort of acted on my own
> on this.  I've submitted another paper to the Unicode Consortium asking to
> encode pIqaD finally:
> http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2016/16329-piqad-returns.pdf  They always said it
> wasn't encoded because people weren't using it: I disprove that claim in the
> document.  The discussion on the mailing list there is starting to heat up
> again; this time they're saying that there are problems with Paramount's
> copyright and all, but that's also not relevant, and even if it is, they
> should decide whether or not to encode and *then* we'll worry about
> difficulties carrying that out.
>
> Anyway, just informing folks.  I've been talking to various UTC members, and
> the official UTC meeting is this week or next week or something, so it will
> be brought up then and they'll probably have at least some sort of response
> after that.  I'm not going to let them off the hook without at least some
> *sensible* answer and a path forward (and an explanation as to why the
> Tolkien alphabets, which apparently may also have copyright issues, are on
> the Roadmap, even if they aren't encoded, while pIqaD is not only not on the
> roadmap, but given as an example on the "Not on the Roadmap" page as
> something not worthy of being there.)  Just FYI.

I have some info about this:
* the proposal missed the deadline for the November meeting, but is on
the agenda for the January one
* the good news is that the committee considers the evidence of use
for Klingon is now sufficient
* the rest of the proposal is in good shape (other than lack of a
date), only the IP stands in the way
* Tengwar was added to the roadmap before IP issues arose; adding
Klingon to the roadmap has no real effect while IP issues are
unresolved
* their recommendation is that the Klingon community work towards
getting the IP owners to engage with them to settle the IP issues
(that's your path forward)

So... who can take this on?

--
De'vID