[tlhIngan Hol] A crucial necessity

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 03:33:00 PST 2016

If one is to look at his dictionary, he will surely see that often, for a
single klingon word there are several english ones given in the explanation
of that word.

example 1: {Qu'} duty, quest, mission, task, chore
example 2: {vay'} somebody, something, anybody, anything, someone

If we put the dictionary aside, and examine ourselves, then probably we
will realize one disturbing event:

Those of us, who regularly write klingon, tend unconsciously to associate
such words with only one of their meanings and forget the rest. For
example, I may tend to associate {Qu'}, only with "duty", and ignore the
meaning of "quest".

Or -even worst-, we tend to think that such words possess only one meaning.
For example we tend to think that {vay'} means only "someone", forgetting
its additional meaning of "something". I still remember some time ago,
writing {vay'} in the context of "something", only to be instantly
corrected that it means "someone".

The worst mistakes take place not when you're trying to learn something,
not when you consider yourself a beginner. The worst mistakes and
misconceptions are settling in your mind, as soon as you believe you know
something..

So, the crucial necessity we must be keeping in mind, is that just because
we tend to use one word, with just one of its multiple meanings, this
doesn't mean that this word doesn't have additional interpretations as well.

To forget this, or even worst ignore it, is to shove down other people's
throats our personal preferences, and embarass ourselves by our own
persistent stubborness.

qunnoH
ghoghwIj HablI'vo' vIngeHta'