[tlhIngan Hol] A thought on the irrealis construction

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 10:05:32 PST 2016

ok, now I understand your opinion on this subject.

If we approach this from a cultural perspective, then I agree, that when it
comes to warriors (martok, gowron, etc), then the use of irrealis would be
very limited, perhaps maybe even non-existent.

As you described -and I agree-, a warrior wouldn't concern himself with
alternate possibilities, or what "might have been in the past or future".

However, I believe there is an additional side to this matter.

We tend to think klingons as being only warriors. And of course, noone
would disagree that every klingon regardless of gender and perhaps maybe
even age, would definitely be able to fight.

But I feel it is almost certain, that there must be scientists too. Someone
must have built their birds of prey, right ?

So, I think that although the irrealis wouldn't be of much use to a
warrior, it surely would be necessary to a scientist, who constantly needs
to describe possibilities, theories etc.

Of course, since there is a lot we don't know about this warrior race, one
can only speculate.

However, being terrans who are fascinated by their language, I think the
more grammar/linguistic tools we have, the better.

I'm happy beyond words, that maltz revealed this construction for us ! I
truly feel kahless himself answered my prayers, since many times I wanted
to use irrealis but I didn't know how to do it.

thank you maltz !

qunnoH
ghoghwIj HablI'vo' vIngeHta'