[tlhIngan Hol] Disturbing irregularities

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jun 21 11:02:42 PDT 2016

On 6/21/2016 1:54 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
>> There's no problem in saying {mayqel jIH}  "I am Michael"
>> Next, {SoH 'Iv} equals to {'Iv SoH}, both words can act as the verb.
> ok, I came back..
>
> if I write {'elaDya'ngan jIH}, this can only mean "I am (a) greek",
> right ? So, how come if I write {mayqel jIH}, this can mean "I am
> michael' ? even if we take into account, that klingon does not have
> "a/the", then again the meaning can only mean "I am a michael".

A Klingon to-be sentence expresses the idea /X = Y./ *'elaDya'ngan jIH*
/me = Greek;/ *mayqel jIH*/me = Michael./ There is no /a,/ /an,/ or
/the/ in Klingon.
> as I understand , the subject is defined as "one who is, or one who
> does" ; and since we use OVS, then how can we place the "one who is,
> or one who does", before the verb ?

A Klingon to-be sentence is not of the form object-verb-subject. You
should more or less ignore the ideas of subject and object with regard
to to-be sentences.