[tlhIngan-Hol] Sentence as subject

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Jun 3 08:46:38 PDT 2016

On 6/3/2016 11:28 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> I remember reading somewhere (I think in the wiki), that sentence as
> subject is not allowed.
>
> However, I can't understand how someone can use a sentence as subject
> in the first place.
>
> Can someone write an example of a sentence as subject, so that I will
> understand, what someone is supposed to avoid ?

An example, in English, of something that could be considered
sentence-as-subject:

    /The Klingon killing the Ferengi is good.
    It is good that the Klingon killed the Ferengi./

Here, /it/ stands in for the postcedent /the Klingon killed the
Ferengi./ In Klingon, you cannot say **QaQ verengan HoHpu' tlhIngan *or
****verengan HoHpu' tlhIngan **QaQ 'e'.* You must recast. Perhaps
*verengan HoHpu'mo' tlhIngan QaQ ghu'*/**because the Klingon killed the
Ferengi the situation is good/ or *QaQ tlhIngan verengan
HoHpu'ghach*/the Klingon's Ferengi-killing is good/ (this latter might
be hard to parse).