[tlhIngan Hol] vatlh DIS poH question

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Jun 9 11:45:14 PDT 2016

Am 09.06.2016 um 12:01 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> Although, I cannot understand something.. If someone asks 'oqranD, at
> the coming qep'a', won't 'oqranD, be able to provide with a clear,
> specific and unambiguous answer ?

Hehe... You'll understand it when you ask him yourself. :-)

> I mean, how come so many years, questions such as this, continue to
> remain unanswered ?

Well, first of all, there are many many ambiguous and unanswered
questions like this, so Okrand would have a lot of work to clarify all
of those (most of them were clarified sometimes by later examples, so
there was no need to ask him afer a while.)

Next, Okrand cannot always answer immediately. He has to think about it
first. He usually says he need to think about it first (i.e. look in his
notes) and then he may or may not give an answer. It's possible that he
forgets, or he just did not find a satisfying answer. It does not work
like when you go to a native speaker and ask how to say something.
Okrand wants to answer such questions in a way that the answer works
with the rest of his set up rules. Sometimes Okrand even does not want
to give the answer, so he just explains that "Maltz is not very
talkative lately." :-)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh