[tlhIngan-Hol] A question on {ngIq}

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 00:40:28 PDT 2016

thank you felix and qurgh, for adding to the conversation ;

By now, I realize that we do not have a clear-cut solution to this
problem - a solution provided bu 'oqranD, that is -.

So, after everything I read in this thread so far, I come to realize
that we need to depend on context, in order to understand whether we
must read "a single one" or "one by one".

However my problem remains : If I am to use the word {ngIq}, then how
do I specify for the reader, which use of it I am employing ?

Today, a few minutes after I woke up, this solution came to mind :

If I'm aiming for the "single one" meaning, I will use {ngiq} in
conjuction with {wa'}. Example :

jIHvaD ngIq wa' vIghro' Danob.
you gave for me a single cat.

Of course now, this raises the question : "do I place the {wa'} before
or after the {ngIq} ?". But I do not see a reason, it could not be
placed either way. Both "one single cat" and "a single one cat cat"
are the same after all..

Now, if I am aiming for the "one by one' meaning, then I need to use
context to specify.

Hoch vIghromey' DISurghta'. wa'DIch wa' vIghro' wISurghta' ghIq
latlh.. ngIq vIghromey'vam DISurghta'.
we skinned all the cats. first we skinned one cat, then another.. one
by one we skinned them.

However, even if we didn't go to these lengths, to provide for the
"one by one" meaning, I guess that if not anything else, the use of
the prefix {DI-}, expresses that we are talking about the group, from
which group we were skinning the cats one after the other, in
succession.

And because of this reason, I agree with qurgh that for the ""We
destroyed his birds of prey one by one", the {ngIq toQDujmeyDaj
DIQaw'ta'}, is the way to go.

Anyway, only 'oqranD can clarify this, so if anyone would like, then
please do ask him in the qep'a' to come..

mayqel qunnoQ