[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nugh

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Jul 11 11:32:46 PDT 2016

On 7/11/2016 1:50 PM, Steven Boozer wrote:
> Another example where the subject is elided is:
>
> *romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'*
>
>   a Romulan hunter-killer probe (KCD)
>
> It’s a small assassination device that has two functions closely
> connected – {Sam} (“locate” or “seek and find”) and {HoH} (“kill”); so
> closely that “hunter” and “killer” are hyphenated in English to show
> they refer to the same thing. Repeating the subject might imply two
> separate devices:
>
> **romuluSngan Sambogh nejwI’ 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'*
>
>        a Romulan hunter probe and (a) killer probe

I don't think it can imply two devices. That would require a noun
conjunction. What we have here is a compound sentence as a relative clause.

The following would all be correct:

    *romuluSngan Sambogh nejwI' 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'
    romuluSngan Sambogh nejwI' 'ej HoHbogh
    rumuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'
    *

The explained grammar has the second of repeated nouns elided (as per
TKD 6.2.1), but common usage also shows the first of repeated nouns
being elided to form a sort of "compound verb" (the third example).

Even more interesting would be phrases like

    *yIH muSbogh tlhIngan 'ej yIH HoHbogh tlhIngan
    yIH muSbogh tlhIngan 'ej HoHbogh
    yIH muSbogh 'ej HoHbogh tlhIngan
    yIH muSbogh tlhIngan 'ej yIH HoHbogh
    yIH muSbogh tlhIngan 'ej HoHbogh tlhIngan
    *...and so on.