[tlhIngan Hol] Because He knows

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 15 11:35:33 PDT 2016

For reference:

  Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the
  devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because
  he knoweth that he hath but a short time. (KJV)

qunnoq:
> tera' bIQ'a' je Savup, tlhIHDaq lIghoSmo' mupwI', Savup.
> ngaj poHDaj.  'ej 'e' Sovmo' ghaH QeHqu' ghaH.
>
> Revelation 12:12

"I pity you earth and sea; because the Hammer approaches you (pl), I pity you (pl).  His time (period) is short.  And because he knows that, he is very angry."

Some suggestions...

You left out "inhabiters (inhabitants)" {DabwI'pu'}:

  tera' bIQ'a' je DabwI'pu' Savup

alternatively, since Klingon often repeats nouns:

  tera' DabwI'pu' bIQ'a' DabwI'pu' je Savup

and because {Sa-} "I [do something] to you (plural)" refers to a plural object, I would omit the redundant plural suffix:

  tera' bIQ'a' je DabwI' Savup
  tera' DabwI' bIQ'a' DabwI' je Savup

If you use {lI-} "he [does something] to you (plural)" then {tlhIHDaq} is also redundant, since you have just mentioned them:

Consider omitting one or both {ghaH} "he":

  'ej 'e' Sovmo' ghaH QeHqu'.
  'ej 'e' Sovmo' QeHqu' ghaH.
  'ej 'e' Sovmo' QeHqu'.

and combining the last two closely related sentences.

BTW, why do you call the Devil "the Hammer"?  Is it a Greek custom?  For the rest of us, you could say {mIghwI'} the "Evil One", or {ghol} "the opponent/adversary" (which is what Hebrew *ha-satan* "the Satan" means).  [veqlargh} "Fek'lhr" might work even though it seems to be a proper name, rather like Lucifer.  However there's this proverb:

  veqlarghlI' yIbuS 'ej veqlarghwI' vIbuS
  You pay attention to your Fek'lhr and I will pay
  attention to mine. TKW

Which Okrand explains as meaning "each individual has his which is after all what own individual concerns" (TKW p.197).

So putting it all together for a tighter - dare I say biblical? - style:

  tera' bIQ'a' je DabwI', Savup;  lIghoSmo' mIghwI',
  Savup.  ngaj poHDaj 'e' Sovmo' ghaH, QeHqu'.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'