[tlhIngan Hol] The book of our good captain

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Jul 13 09:37:19 PDT 2016

Am 13.07.2016 um 18:16 schrieb Alan Anderson:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 12:04 PM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>> lieven:
>>> ghorgh [bItlhutlh DaneH]
>>> (a question word in front of a SAO)
>>> and not
>>> [ghorgh bItlhutlh] DaneH
>>> (a Question as object)
>
> I disagree with Lieven's grouping.

I like that, as I may be wrong. The problem is that I'm not a linuist
and I lack the correct words. Maybe I have a mindtwist and say
differently from what I think.

After all, there will be no difference in the final phrase...

This is how I see the phrases in my head: "you want to drink" -
{bItlhutlh DaneH}. That's a statement. "you drink" is the object of
{DaneH}. All fine. Now I change the entire thing to a question adding a
question word: WHEN do you want to drink ("please state the time of your
desired drinking event"). In this construction, I see it not as the
object of the wanting.

Another approach: TKD tell us the word 'e' can be translated as "that".
When I read {nuq Datlhutlh} as the object of {DaneH}, I should translate
it literally as "You want that what do you drink". This is why I do not
see it as the object.

But maybe I am on the wrong track - and it wouldn't matter anyway as we
know that THIS construction is allowed.

Question words used as relative pronouns seems to be not allowed as far
as I remember.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh