[tlhIngan Hol] paq'batlh mu'tlhegh

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 03:52:17 PST 2016

yes, you're right.

I obviously confused you, because of my previous comments. here's what
happened:

De'vID wrote that the {naDev jIHtaHbogh} is a noun. However I wasn't (and
still am) unable to accept that.

In order for a {-bogh} clause to be able to be considered a noun, then that
noun has to be either a subject, or an object of the verb which carries the
{-bogh}.

{muqIpta' yaS}
the officer who hit me

{paq qanobta'bogh}
the book which I gave you

When De'vID wrote that the {naDev jIHtaHbogh} is a noun, I wrote that the
only way this can take place is if the {naDev} is considered to be the
object of the {jIHtaHbogh}. But if that was true, then the translation
could only be "the here which I am being".

Unless if it is possible, for a locative word like {naDev} to be considered
an object. but noone here has ever taught me that this is possible.

And how could it be ? If it was possible, then at the sentence {naDev,
qama' qIp yaS} "here the officer hits the prisoner", we would have two
objects before the verb thus producing object-object-verb-subject (which is
illegal). And of course, noone can say that the {naDev} is a beneficiary
since it carries no {-vaD}, and it isn't affected from the action.

So, until someone is able to explain to me this matter in a logical and
meaningful way, I will continue to believe that there is no way we can
explain this baq'batlh sentence by the grammar we know so far.

qunnoH jan puqloD
ghoghwIj HablI'vo' vIngeHta'