[tlhIngan Hol] ghorgh and nuqDaq next to nouns

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Fri Dec 16 04:53:29 PST 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 7:31 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> qurgh:
> > Where is the rule that they can't be part of a
> > noun-noun construction, I must have missed
> > it?
>
> SuStel wrote this a few days ago, at the "who shall call them from the
> twilight ?" thread.

I hadn't read it. Looking back, he merely said it was unknown whether they
can be used in that way.

TKD says that the "word fits into the sentence in the position that would
be occupied by the answer". To me this means, if the answer is {tIn SuStel
Duj}, and the missing information I want is {SuStel}, then the way to ask
the question would be {tIn 'Iv Duj}. The same would seem to make sense for
{nuq}. If the answer is {Hab SoSlI' Quch} and the missing information is
{Quch} then the question would be {Hab SoSlI' nuq?}.

I don't believe this works for every situation though. I found {nuq Dargh
DaneH} in the archive as an attempt to say "What type of tea do you want?".
I don't think that works, since the answer to {nuq Dargh DaneH} would be
something like {Duj Dargh DaneH} - "I want the ship's tea" with {nuq}
filling the space of the owner/possessor of the tea, not the type/brand of
tea. For that you probably do need to switch to something like {Dargh Segh
DaneHbogh yIngu'}.

qurgh