[tlhIngan Hol] When your car becomes a dog

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Dec 7 09:06:48 PST 2016

On 12/7/2016 11:02 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:

> SuStel:
> > Explain to me, for instance, the difference
> > between *ben *
> *> puSqu' */*Athens*/* vIDabtaH* and *ben*
> *> puSqu' **/Athens/**vIDab.* Also explain the
> > difference between *Hoch jaj puH DujwIj*
> *> vISeDtaH* and *Hoch jaj puH DujwIj vISeD.*
>
> You're definitely right. I re-thought these sentences without the
> {-taH}, and there is no difference. Thanks for pointing this out !

It's not that there's no difference; it's that the version with *-taH*
does not mean exactly what the version without it means, and it's the
version without that you intend.

*Hoch jaj puH DujwIj vISeDtaH *means something like /every day I am
continuously driving my car./ But continuity and being ongoing are not
really what you're trying to convey. Sure, the act of driving is
continuous from one moment to the next, but what you're expressing is
your habit of or regularity in doing any driving at all. That's not a
continuous concept. You want to tell me that your driving was a regular
thing you did. There's no suffix for that. *Hoch jaj puH DujwIj vISeD.*