[tlhIngan Hol] qep'a' cha'maH wej mu' chu' - New Words

Rhona Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 18 08:16:49 PDT 2016

To those it specifically matters to, dawn and sunrise are distinct. But common parlance does indeed tend to subsume dawn into a broader definition of sunrise, though I don't think it's about being careless with definitions as such. I think that it's rather about viewing sunrise as a process, instead of an instant, as the narrower definition does. Wikipedia ("Sunrise") puts it well:

"Astronomically, sunrise occurs for only an instant: the moment at which the upper limb of the Sun appears tangent to the horizon. However, the term sunrise commonly refers to periods of time both before and after this point:

- Twilight, the period in the morning during which the sky is light but the Sun is not yet visible. The beginning of morning twilight is called dawn.

- The period after the Sun rises during which striking colors and atmospheric effects are still seen."

Unless the {jajlo' Qa'} cries out exactly and only at the moment of the first dawn light it sees in the morning, I think we're reasonably safe in presuming that Klingon {jajlo'} - though defined as "dawn" - also refers not to an instant, but to a period of time either side of "sunrise" narrowly construed, and includes a period of {choS} before the sun appears on the horizon. The same thing would go for {tlhom}, presumably (except around sunset, of course).

QeS 'utlh