[tlhIngan Hol] [Tlhingan-hol] Liquid Nitrogen

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Aug 5 08:38:09 PDT 2016

On 8/5/2016 11:31 AM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 11:08 AM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:
>
>     Outside of everyday usage, English uses /ice/ to refer to any
>     substance that is normally thought of as non-solid when it has
>     been made solid. We use /ice/ instead of some other word because
>     water is the most common substance that we regularly see become
>     solid; we just apply that word to other substances.
>

> English speakers use it, incorrectly, that way. It's a slang, albeit
> very common slang. You may use that slang, but some people try to
> avoid it.

Scientists use it this way. For example, ammonia ice
<https://www.google.com/search?q=ammonia+ice&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS687US687&oq=ammonia+ice&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1952j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=%22ammonia+ice%22+site:nasa.gov>.

Many dictionaries
<http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ice?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic> give both
definitions.

> When you have watched someone pick up a chunk of "dry ice" and try to
> eat it,  thinking it's normal ice, you quickly learn not to use "ice"
> outside of the water kind.

/Dry ice/ is another example of using /ice/ to refer to something other
than solid water.