[tlhIngan Hol] [Tlhingan-hol] Liquid Nitrogen

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Fri Aug 5 08:31:15 PDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 11:08 AM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> Outside of everyday usage, English uses *ice* to refer to any substance
> that is normally thought of as non-solid when it has been made solid. We
> use *ice* instead of some other word because water is the most common
> substance that we regularly see become solid; we just apply that word to
> other substances.

English speakers use it, incorrectly, that way. It's a slang, albeit very
common slang. You may use that slang, but some people try to avoid it.

When you have watched someone pick up a chunk of "dry ice" and try to eat
it,  thinking it's normal ice, you quickly learn not to use "ice" outside
of the water kind.

What do other languages do? I don't remember ice being used this way in
Japanese.

> On the other hand, we have no idea whether Klingon *chuch* has the same
> usage or can only refer to solid H2O.

The gloss is "ice", so I think it's very reasonable to assume that, while
there is no conflicting evidence, it refers to the solid form of H2O.
There's no precedent in Klingon to assume English slang meanings should be
carried over. In fact, this has always been discouraged by the members of
this list.

qurgh